Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hurricane Ike

Thanks so much for the ladies on TM who prayed for us. We are fine. Still without power. The roofing company came yesterday and removed the two trees from our roof and patched the hole. Still haven't seen an insurance rep or an electric truck on our end of the subdivision.

I now equate the north side of a hurricane to labor. I was lying on the couch, and I could hear the wind coming around the back of the house and towards the front. Just as it came around the front, I would hold my breath and say, "Please, God, let this be the last one!" Ha ha! My brother rode out the storm and said that the south side of the storm was much worse, a constant whirling wind for four hours. Everytime he went outside with his camera, it would take another couple of people to close the door with him.

We are now boycotting a local news reporter. He put my brother's friend in grave danger for three days. The station finally let A go home after he complained. The news reporter has six kids -- yeah, you know who you are -- and was willing to risk his life and A's to get sensational footage. I'm sorry, but that is just STUPID! And a female reporter from the station will also be ignored from now on. I have lost total respect for you, lady.

We are staying at my brother's house in Houston but not for much longer. I am ready to go home. The house is starting to smell from the wet insulation and wood in the attic. I'm going to attack the whole house with Febreeze. I am hoping the carpet will be okay. It only got wet from the splashing of water in the tubs and when transferring the water.

What I will remember: using the pool to bathe, flush toilets, wash dishes, and wash towels (don't worry, these will all be re-washed) ; throwing out a frig full of food (ugh!); flicking on the lightswitch by habit; watching the hummingbirds after the storm; no cell phone coverage; hunkering down with my family in the den; thanking God that we are safe. It is just a house and fence. I will miss my favorite bird bath, though.

My friend T and her family got hit very hard in Magnolia. Please pray for them. Don't think we will be having piano lessons over there for awhile.

I want to thank K for letting us shower at her place. Sorry I didn't make it to the movie night last night. I want to thank R & R for bringing us ice and checking on us. I want to thank all of the friends who called to see if we were okay or needed anything, some of whom used their precious cell phone battery to do so. I especially want to thank B & N for letting us invade your home. The internet access has also been a godsend so I can search for a job and we can communicate with our friends and family.

I will post pictures when I have my internet back. Until then, take care!

No comments: