Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Anti-Wordless Wednesday

This is going to be my new T-shirt.
For all of you Wordless Wednesday fanatics, you know me, I am never "wordless." You know what I don't understand? Why, when I'm washing my hair, I have to completely rinse the shampoo off my hands before I rinse the shampoo out of my hair. Pretty stupid, huh?


The subject today is roaches. I was reminded today how once when I was in high school I was outside the front door and was told there was a roach by me. I opened the front door "hard." Parents had the security chain on the door. I ripped the chain and the door frame completely off!


This whole roach paranoia started when I was a young girl. Me and a friend were up in a fig tree in my backyard. We had children's scissors, cutting patterns in leaves, like you do paper snowflakes. I dropped my scissors. I didn't know that what I had dropped the scissors on was the top of a compost pile. I jumped down onto the compost pile, leaving my friend in the tree. Hundreds, and I mean HUNDREDS of brown, flying, tree roaches rose up out of the compost pile, all over me and scurrying frantically up the tree. I ran into the grass, and all I could think of was the old fire slogan, "Stop, drop, and roll." So I rolled in the grass, crunching some of the roaches.


About ten years ago, I was working in my office downstairs. There was a roach sitting on my computer tower. It flew TOWARDS me. This was at three o'clock in the morning. I ran into another room, screaming, and it continued to fly towards me. I found out later that, yes, there are some types of roaches that are labeled "aggressive."


I could talk all day about roaches, I have so many unpleasant encounters with them. We know a family who raises hissing cockroaches; I can't even imagine.


I am running L's store today. So far no catastrophes, although I owe her $12 for selling three key chains at the wrong price. :o( One customer cracked me up. He wanted me to order The Picture Bible. I wrote down "Picture Bible." He kept saying, "THE. Put THE in front of it." Then he ordered something else and I left the "THE" off again. That's the way we look up books. And he said again very loudly, "Put THE in front of that. " I would like to see the differences between Picture Book and The Picture Book by the same author. Ha ha. He made sure I took the extra "L" out of his name, too.
From A Bug's Life:
Flik: Here, pretend - pretend that that's a seed.
Dot: It's a rock.
Flik: Oh, I know it's a rock, I know. But let's just pretend for a minute that it's a seed, alright? We'll just use our imaginations. Now, now do you see our tree? Everything that made that giant tree is already contained inside this tiny little seed. All it needs is some time, a little bit of sunshine and rain, and voilá!
Dot: This rock will be a tree?
Flik: Seed to tree. You've gotta work with me, here. Alright? Okay. Now, y-you might not feel like you can do much now, but that's just because, well, you're not a tree yet. You just have to give yourself some time. You're still a seed.
Dot: But it's a rock.
Flik: [shouting] I know it's a rock! Don't you think I know a rock when I see a rock? I've spent a lot of time around rocks!
Dot: You're weird, but I like you.

No comments: