Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Haunted Houses and other scary stuff


Around this time of year, I am reminded of one of my pet peeves. Not a peeve, actually. Something that REALLY chaps me. Scary things. Take haunted houses, for instance. All around town there are advertisements for scary haunted houses. There is even one being held at the Children’s Museum in Houston! Why do people think that these are a good thing for children? I remember going to a haunted house when I was a little girl. I got separated from my parents. I was petrified. It probably wasn’t all that scary to older children, but I still remember the grape “eyeballs” and spaghetti “brains.”

And movies. Why do people think that it is okay for young children to watch Chucky and Nightmare on Elm Street. I taught first grade years ago, and while my students had no clue who the U.S. Vice President was, they all knew who “Freddy” was! I say let the child decide what is or is not scary to them. I was petrified of the child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and still cannot watch a particular scene in that movie as an adult. My youngest cannot watch the Star Wars movies or E.T. While none of these may seem “scary” to an adult, there is something about Darth Vader and ET that strike a nerve with her, no matter how much she may want to watch them. So, parents, please be cautious about what you expose your young children to. When they mature, they will be ready. They won’t be watching Winnie the Pooh and Winn-Dixie forever. Savor this time.

My friend T’s peeve about overly-cautious drivers leads me to respond. Do you know what I can’t stand? People who have to come to a complete stop before making a right-hand turn into a parking lot or driveway. And when you’re waiting to turn right and someone’s coming toward you and they finally put on their blinker right before they turn. Ugh! I hate that.

On a brighter note, my new radio station has started playing some serious Peter Frampton. I am elated!!!! Now, I long for Bobby Sherman and Julie Julie Julie Do You Love Me and the theme from Here Come the Brides!


Molly Jensen: I love you.
Sam Wheat: Ditto.

Oda Mae Brown: Why don't you go haunt a house? Rattle some chains or something.

Oda Mae just gave a four-million-dollar check to some nuns] Sam Wheat: I'm proud of you, Oda Mae! Oda Mae Brown: You know something, Sam? I don't care if you're proud of me. You just stay away from me from now on. What is that nun going to do with it? She can't even buy underwear.

No comments: