Tuesday, August 15, 2006

This Year's Curriculum Choices

At this time of year I remember how BLESSED I am that I have lots of curriculum choices for my kids. If you have kids who learn differently, you might find something here that suits you.
I made a BIG MISTAKE this summer. I broke one of my famous rules - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" I chose Teaching Textbooks for my child.
Why? I thought it would make her more independent. What I failed to realize was that it is EXACTLY like Saxon, which SHE HATES! So back to Math U See which was working just fine for us. For grammar - The Great Editing Adventure. My kids learn grammar better by giving them real life examples. No fill in the blanks for them. For Science - Rainbow Science. All the experiments have worked so far exept for one. For vocabulary, Vocabulary Cartoons - hilarious cartoons based on SAT words. For writing - we were using IEW which I loved but have no time for. I am putting them both in a basic paragraph writing course. Next year they will be in an essay writing course. For geography - we are continuing to map each state in the United States. For history - I am switching from TruthQuest, which I loved to Beautiful Feet. We are simply going too slowly. K16 needs to get to government and economics in two years. We are also using Cornerstone books. They will read about events and fill out an information sheet and put the event or person on their timeline. We are passing on spelling this year, as they have done terrific on spelling. They will continue their weekly Bible study, take sewing/quilting and music lessons. I guess that wraps it up. Oh, yeah, couldn't find a photography class for K16, so she will start doing the book work for driver's ed. I will be glad when we start back up, as my kids need to be on more of a schedule, as do I.


~c'ya~

1 comment:

~T said...

It's so good to see you post again!!!!!!!!

I agree with your big rule. I have only broken it successfully once... my kids hate Saxon too.


Can't wait to visit.... know you are busy!