Saturday, June 21, 2008

Illness

Why do wonderful people get so sick? I called one of my high school teachers yesterday to get some job-seeking advice. He has Parkinson's. The phone call started out with his wife telling me he was not doing too well. She has always been honest with me about his disease out of his hearing. She put him on the phone. I could tell a huge difference in his voice since the last time I had called. At first, he did not seem to know exactly who I was. I could hear his wife in the background prodding him along. Then it just kind of clicked. He obviously knew who I was, but everytime he tried to address me by name, he apparently went blank. He never did say my name. He said that he had been unwell for four days, but would be better by tomorrow. His intellect was firmly intact, though. He was concerned about the store and in agreement with me that Rosetta Stone Level 3 was too easy for me. He said that he had complete faith in me that I could get my Spanish back quickly. He said, "It's in your brain. You just need to get it out." Hmmmmmm. Sounds like Parkinson's or Alzheimers to me. When I asked him questions, he kept saying, "Let me think. Let me think." Finally, he said he would think things over and call me back. Have not heard from him and do not expect to. I am going to try to see him in August. He could not believe that the girls had grown so much.

Then today I was directed to a very sad blog, a mom of several children who is dying of cancer and is on hospice. She was going to try one more round of chemo, but has finally decided to stop and rest. This blog is a heads up and very inspiring but very depressing. Her husband writes for her when she is too weak. Here is her link if you want it: http://www.punkrockmommy.org/blog/

So, see, the store closing is nothing to be depressed about. A lot of the customers are sad and in shock. One guy told me today he wished we could keep it open, but five minutes later was going on and on about how his wife purchased a lot of her materials on Amazon this year. I have requested that the website be taken down, but so far it is still working.

Going out for drinks with R tonight. We have a lot to talk about. She and I are both job hunting. LOL Tomorrow taking the girls to see Get Smart.

Dr. put me on thyroid medicine. Is supposed to help. Bloodwork in six weeks. K17 has bloodwork in two weeks for the same thing. We are both on Armour.

No comments: