Saturday, March 22, 2008

David Larible


Here is a current photo of David Larible. Looks like he may have lost a bit of weight. He will be doing a one-man show in Spain this year. I would LOVE to go! I had the privilege of meeting him and having my pic taken with him years ago. I also have a David Larible doll somewhere in a closet. He is FANTASTIC! David speaks five languages and plays about a dozen musical instruments. He and his family travel together for 11 months out of the year and spend December at their home in Italy. I looked him up on youtube, but was not impressed with the performances that were recorded. I did enjoy seeing him living it up on his birthday, though.
I TOTALLY disagree with the statement below. David made the Kaleidoscape experience for us.
He may have been good for a single-season-novelty. Beyond that, Larible hogged too much ring time and overstayed his welcome by too many seasons. I avoided one edition of Ringling because of him. I couldn't take it anymore. I have always argued that Larible's presence, by then old hat to most circus goers, did not help Barnum's Kaleidoscape; to the contrary, had Larible not been there, Feld might have been forced to engage more acts.
Here's a different report on Kaleidoscape:
Kaleidoscape wastes no time in introducing its star (Larible). He makes an appearance sans makeup before the show even starts; then, in a clever opening number, the entire cast helps Larible get into costume and in character. It's like seeing one of the great mysteries of the circus revealed before your eyes.
There is no ringmaster in Kaleidoscape. Instead Larible and his foil, the classic European whitefaced clown Pipo, act as introduction and interlude for the show's wide range of acts. Larible is perhaps at his best when interacting with the crowd, constantly pulling audience members into the show to take part in his world. Larible is an excellent improviser, and whether the shanghaied volunteer is willing or disagreeable, the result is almost always hilarious.
A quote from an interview with David Larible regarding Osama Bin Laden:
Interviewer: So we need to figure out how to get Osama bin Laden to the circus?

David: I hope so. Bring him over here. And I'll take him for the knife routine. [laughing] And I'm gonna throw real knives at him.
PLEASE come back to Texas, David! I miss you!

No comments: