Saturday, September 22, 2007

Thoughts on OCD

Sometimes I think back in my life, remembering people I've known and wondering if maybe they had a touch of OCD, not that anyone can have "a touch" of it. I remember one friend in college who some would call strange for many things she did. One thing she did drove me nuts. She would stay up until 3 or 4 a.m. doing laundry. How can one person have that much laundry? I remember that she would wash each individual pair of panties by hand, using Spray and Wash and dishwashing liquid. Then she would wring each one out by hand, like she was going to hang them up or something; and then she would put them in the washing machine and run them in there with more detergent. The whole process lasted at least an hour.

I saw a man in our parking lot a while back that I thought for sure must have had OCD. He pulled his car up, got out in front of the grocery store, got a large sponge out of his trunk and began to scrub his entire car, wheels and all, top to bottom. When he was done, he put the sponge away and went into the grocery store.

I had to laugh, but, actually, OCD is not that very funny. Some people are confined to their homes because of it. Considering that I have what has been termed a "severe" case of it, I am very blessed that I am as high-functioning as I am. I am able to hide a lot of my rituals, and, plus, most of my OCD goes on in my head, which is why it is so difficult to treat. Rituals are easier to treat because they are concrete.

Lots of Girl Scouts coming in the store today for uniforms. I have had one return so far in thirty minutes. It was something I wasn't supposed to take back (a workbook), but, hey, she caught me on a good day. One customer is bummed because we are out of EZ Graders. One lady came in and dumped off a whole bunch of math books she didn't want anymore.

Well, I have LOTS of work to do. Please pray that we get some more internet orders and that we are able to fill them.

Today's quote is from the Cosby Show:

Cliff takes women's underwear out among Theo's laundry)
Cliff: All of this isn't Theo's.
Rudy: That's definitely not Theo's!
Cliff: Is this yours?
Rudy: That's not mine! I'm not that mature yet.

No comments: