Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Security

I am all caught up on consignments! YEA!!! But now I am BORED!

Went to my mom and dad's for Easter. Here's what we pigged out on: ham, asparagus with hollandaise sauce, stuffed peppers, fruit salad, scalloped potatoes that were undercooked (my fault), homemade rolls, green bean casserole with mushrooms. I'm sure I left something out. Oh, yeah, and pound cake with fruit for dessert.

My grandmother lives in a new apartment for senior citizens. One amenity which she pays for is security. To enter her complex you are supposed to key in a number on the keypad in order for the gate to open. Then, to get into her building you are to enter another number on the keypad near the door. Both times I have visited her, the gate has been wide open. (No need for a keypad #1) Sunday, when I went to enter her building, someone had put a large rock in the door to keep it ajar. (No need for a keypad #2) When I asked Grandma about the rock, she said that a lady puts it there when she goes to walk her dog. Now, how lazy is that? I mean, why can't she use the keypad next to the door like everyone else. It jeopardizes the residents' safety. I tell you, I felt like throwing that STUPID rock into the flower bed, right behind the bushes.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature.... Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Helen Keller (1880 - 1968), The Open Door (1957) (Not sure I agree with that entirely)

No comments: