Saturday, February 03, 2007

Homeless

This week has been full of interesting experiences in town. Our bank was robbed yesterday morning before it opened. Wednesday we had our first homeless person in the store. She was obviously mentally ill, wearing her pajamas, a coat and hat, carrying a crutch and singing to herself. She sat in the store awhile, then asked to use the phone and asked the person on the other end for money for a motel room. When she was refused she put the phone down and started talking to the phone. At closing, she went outside and huddled by our door to escape the cold and rain. My friend talked to her awhile and told her there was a shelter nearby, but the woman replied, "I don't go to shelters. All I need is $53 for a room at the Holiday Inn." I guess she could have hocked that cool Ipod she was listening to or not have bought those cigarettes she was smoking.

Then Thursday a woman came into the store and said someone had bought her a gift certificate for $20, but she had lost it and she wanted us to honor it. She got really bent out of shape when she was told we could not do that. Most of the time we don't even see whom the certificate is given to. She said we should have gift cards and that we had made her already bad day worse. Hate to tell ya , lady, but if you lose your Walmart or Target card, they will not take your word for it and honor it. If Walmart won't do it, I won't.

Pet peeve of the day: I love my subdivision. We have deer, possum, ducks, raccoons, armadillos. We have nice neighbors. But yesterday as I was leaving my subdivision I counted 12 cars coming into it. I waved at each person, but only one out of 12 waved back. What happened to being friendly?

Love thy neighbor as yourself, but choose your neighborhood.
~ Louise Beal

No comments: